Written by Jonathan Spicker
Friday, 03 February 2012
Steamlined Registration Paperwork
Register and Pay, or Register and Pay Later
It would be helpful to have as many people as possible register on BikeReg.Com. We’re offering an option where you can input your information and use coupon code: “FormOnly” and you will then pay the night you come to race. Or don’t use the code and you’ll just have to sign in each night.
If you use the coupon you will have to pay weekly at Ault Park. The
advantage to using the coupon is you won’t have to fill out an entry
form. So if you think there is any chance you will race at least once at
Ault Park you are encouraged to go ahead and fill out your information
on-line. There is no penalty for entering on-line and never racing.
On-line registration is expected to be available only until the Tuesday
before the first race. After that all paperwork will have to be
completed at Ault Park.
Like last year you’ll only need to fill out the registration form once. Then you will sign and pay each week.
New for 2011
• Bonus money in the 40K for non cat 1-2's
• Men Cat 4 Masters 35+ (ONLY) allowed to ride the 40K
• Larger weekly payout
• Larger Plus One! 40K payout
•More Montgomery Cyclery primes
•On-line registration at BikeReg.com
•1 bib number per rider for the entire 6 weeks
original series was founded in 1985 by Andy Callahan the original owner
of Oakley Cycles, and managed for nearly 20 years by Chief Referee
Chuck Doll. Bill Lorenz took over the series when Oakley Cycles dropped
their involvement and made it a part of the QCW repertorie of events.
All riders and spectators are welcome to this friendly and competitive
event. This is a wide, smooth course, with one turn, a gentle climb and
fast descent each lap. It is also closed to traffic and perfect for both
new and experienced racers.
Dates and Times
There are 5 Wednesday nights in the series this in addition to the Plus One event on the 6th night:
June 22nd - series conclusion
June 29th - Plus One! event.
There are 2 races each night.
20K race goes off at 7PM and is 20 laps. Men Category 4 , Men Category 4 35+ Masters, Men Category 5, Women, Juniors and 1-Day license holders.
40K race goes off at 8PM and is 40 laps. Men Category 1-3, Men Category 4 35+ Masters (ONLY), Women and Juniors.
Plus One! event
Back by popular demand is the Plus One! event.
This race will be held the week after the regular series concludes.
1. 20K race goes off at 7pm and is 20 laps. (Men Category 5, Women, Juniors and 1-Day license holders)
2. 40K race goes off at 8pm and is 40 laps. (Men Category 3-4, Women and Juniors)
*Note: June 29th is a separate event NOT part of the overall series.
The weekly races and overall series are run as a points race, similar to what would normally be run on a velodrome:
- Riders sprint every 5 laps, with the first 4 riders being awarded points – 5, 3, 2, 1.
- The middle and final sprints are worth double points – 10, 6, 4, 2.
- The rider with the most points at the end of the night wins that night.
- Points are cumulative over the 5 week series; the rider with the most points after 5 weeks wins the series.
- All riders who register are awarded 2 points weekly.
- Ties on total points go the rider who scored points latest in the race.
- Any riders who lap the field will receive a 20 point bonus.
- The highest points earner who is NOT a Men Category 1-2 rider will
win a weekly prize and series prize, but they can only score points by
being in the top 4 across the line on sprint laps.
- Points sprints are announced with a bell, primes are announced with an airhorn.
- The Plus One! race follows the same scoring protocol.
$15 for each race. (+ $10 if you need to purchase a 1-day license)
Your first registration includes one free
race number which you will keep and use for the entire 6 weeks.
Replacement numbers will be available for $5.
The Ault Park Series is free if you are a current QCW member and you wear the team kit (shorts and jersey).
On-line registration is available at BikeReg.Com. Race-day registration is available with NO late fees. Entry fees are non-refundable.
40K riders should wait to register wait until 7:00, unless there is no line.
20K – Bragging rights and primes!
40K – $50 / 3 places, plus bonus and primes.
1st - $25
2nd - $15
3rd - $10
Bonus - $10 (Highest points earner who is NOT a Men Category 1-2 rider)
20K – $340 / 5 places. Plaques are also awarded / 5 places.
2nd - $100
3rd - $50
4th - $25
5th - $15
40K – $510 / 5 places, plus bonus. Plaques are also awarded / 5 places. Bonus plaque for first non 1-2 rider
2nd - $150
3rd - $85
4th - $50
5th - $25
Bonus - $25 (Highest points earner who is NOT a Men Category 1-2 rider)
Plus One! Prizes
20K - $75 / 3 places, and primes. Plaques are also awarded / 3 places.
1st - $35
2nd - $25
3rd - $15
40K - $250 / 4 places and primes. Plaques are also awarded / 3 places.
1st - $100
2nd - $75
3rd - $50
4th - $25
Directions and Parking
The most parking spots are on Observatory
Avenue. Park as close as you can to Observatory Circle. You can also
park on Heekin go past the road closed sign. There will be police
officers at both intersections with Observatory Circle to block cars
This is a USAC event and you MUST present a current USAC license at
registration in order to race. You may purchase or renew your license
online at USA Cycling. If you purchase online, you can print out a license which you can use until your official license arrives in the mail.
You may also purchase a 1-day license for $10 at race registration. This fee is in addition to the race entry fee.
ONE DAY LICENSE MAY ONLY BE USED FOR THE 20K RACE!
- QCW members wearing the current team kit race for free.
- Neutral mechanical support provided by Montgomery Cyclery.
- Riders deemed riding in a hazardous manner may be pulled from the race at the chief referee’s discretion.
- Riders will be issued one bib
number for the entire series including the Plus One! event. Replacement
numbers subject to a $5 surcharge.
- Riders must race the category displayed on their license. One-day license available for 20K race only.
- Prize list and distance subject to change based on the promoters’ discretion.
- Riders are limited to one race per night.
- Races held rain or shine, no refunds.
- No lapped riders
- No sales, solicitations, consumption of alcohol may occur in association with this event.
- Montgomery Cyclery will provide neutral support.
- Riders use the same bib numbers for the entire 6 weeks.
- Event flier
- Contact the
with additional questions.